The Notebook

| 28 March 2010 | |
I’ve just finished reading


I first saw it on movie, and thought the ending was really sad. Then finally, after 6 years, I bought the book and finished it in 1 and a half days.

The movie is of course, different than the book, with a better happy ending;

The next morning, a nurse finds them in bed together, dead, holding each other.

Not to say the book doesn’t have a happy ending as well. At least Allie remembered Noah, and it ended with her unbuttoning his shirt.

Hmmm. Awkwaaaaaaaard.

I really enjoyed the book, cuz its touching tho its very fictional. The book has a sequel called, The Wedding, so maybe I’ll buy that since I might know what happened to Allie and Noah =D Maybe only. Mahal le. RM35 for 213 pages. Yikes.

Basically, its about these two lovers who met during one summer in their teens. Allie’s parents forbade her to see Noah who’s from a less reputable family. Fourteen years later, they met up and discovered they still love each other. Allie’s engaged, but she chose to marry Noah. In their later years, Allie had Alzheimer’s and forgot her love and life with Noah, so everyday since the sickness started, he would read to her their story in hopes she’d remember. He’d to suffer seeing her this way but pursued as he had promised to read to her.

Touching, really.

There’s a quote I like in the book;

Always together, forever apart.

It really suits what’s been happening to these characters.

Oooh, and Allie is an artist! She likes autumns too! Come on Maddie, dream big… Dream impossibly big… Hahahahaha!

I ultimately love this passage;

The young, brash and impatient, must always break the silence. It is a waste, for silence is pure. Silence is holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking. This is the great paradox.

Soso, a good reason for me to stay silent next time I’m dating =D
Not like I've the choice.. I've always like remaining silent and absorbing the moments. Unless I'm with Ee Leng or Janice, then diff story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment